One of the many blessings of raising chickens is an abundance of eggs. Sometimes an over abundance!
But the blessing of having so many is the joy in finding new recipes and discovering new family favorites. One of the recipes that grace our table often is a simple grain-free egg bake that’s filling, hearty, and easy to throw together. But it’s not just because we have too many eggs that we eat them so often—it’s the important part they play in our health.
Even after several decades, the myth that eggs are bad for your cholesterol still permeates the air. But numerous studies have proven that belief wrong, and in fact, have shown that eggs are so beneficial they’re now considered one of the healthiest foods you can eat!
What is it about eggs that makes them so desirable? They…
- contain all 9 essential amino acids and are high in protein
- are one of the only foods that contain naturally occurring vitamin D
- are shown in some studies to help prevent blood clots, strokes, and heart attacks
- encourage promote hair and nails because of their high sulphur content
- contain antioxidants that help protect your eyes
- contain numerous other important vitamins and minerals
But the one benefit this mama really likes is that eggs contain something called choline. Choline is a B-complex vitamin that helps regulate the nervous system, cardiovascular system, and is especially important for the brain. Egg yolks are among the richest and easiest natural sources of choline, providing 26.5 percent of the daily value in a single large egg.
Studies have been published explaining the pivotal role choline plays in the brain development of unborn babies and in preventing neural birth defects. That in itself rates it high on a list of important foods for moms-to-be.
It’s also on the list of recommended foods for children who are preparing for tests to help boost brain function and memory. And yes, it’s even important for those of us who misplace our car keys. 🙂
So if you’re looking for a great way to get more eggs into your diet and that of your family, may I suggest this grain-free egg bake for the start of a fantastic day!
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup raw milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. meat of your choice: (precooked ham, chopped ground beef, browned, Homemade Sausage)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- If you're using ham, have it cut into small pieces. If you're using ground beef, brown 1 lb. in a medium frying pan over low to medium heat. You can add the Homemade Sausage Seasoning anytime while the hamburger is browning and stir it in well.
- Combine the eggs, onion, green pepper, milk, and cheese in large mixing bowl. Whisk together well.
- Stir in the meat of your choice. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake for 1 hour until just lightly browned on top.
Need some more tasty, kid-friendly breakfast ideas?
Check out our cookbook Brainy Breakfasts – it’s filled with over 40 grain-free, brain-fueling breakfast recipes to keep things new and exciting! It’s available as a downloadable or softcover book. You won’t run out of healthy, tasty breakfast recipes anytime soon with this cookbook ?